Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Mission Radio Show- Complete


I just finished my first online radio show interview! It was great to be on Facets of the Heart and discuss my album, Studio 71 as well as introduce some new material. I like the improv spontaneous nature of interviews. It's fun to try and come up with witty meaningful answers on the spot while attempting to keep your thoughts on track and avoiding sounding like an idiot.

It was an hour show, but the time flew by. It was one of those things where when it was done you stop and think "Um, what did I just say?" I hope I didn't make a fool out of myself. I know for sure I didn't give enough credit to the people who played on the album.  Live and learn. Now at least I'm prepared for the next interview and I can prep beforehand so I make sure to mention everything and everyone that should be mentioned.

I'm dreading my Grammy acceptance speech. I'll probably just get up to the podium and start crying at the overwhelming experience. How do you even prepare for something like that? I always hate when people read pre-prepared speeches, but I also can't stand the people who just get up there and ramble on. I like when interview answers or acceptance speeches sound genuine and real in the moment. That is so tough to create though when you run the risk of completely blowing it at the same time.

My tips for interviews:

1) Relax and breathe. The emotion you convey is just as important as the actual words being said.

2) Know your intention. Are you promoting a show? Selling something? Conveying a certain message? It helps to know what you want the interview to accomplish so that you can steer your answers in that general direction.

3) Be true to yourself. If you have nothing to hide and you're just speaking your truth then your task is much easier.

4) Release the energy. Any nerves or anxiety are really just the build up of energy in need of a release. Run around, do push ups or jumping jacks. Do something physical to release the energy and bring you back to a more peaceful relaxed state.

5) Have fun. Again, how you feel about the experience will come across just as strongly as what you are saying. If you're enjoying yourself then others will too.


No comments:

Post a Comment